Disclaimer

Any thoughts written in this blog are entirely my own and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Saturday, September 21, 2013

I've got a feeling we're not in Okahandja anymore...

So, I arrived at my new home in Ongwediva for the first time last night. My first impression… I could get used to this. The house that I’ll be living in for the next few weeks is very nice and spacious. I met my new host mom and she’s very welcoming and easy to talk to. I think she is genuinely happy to have a volunteer stay with her. I’m still not sure about how many people live in this house, but I think it’s about four others. I’ll try to get more info on that soon. She is also very intelligent and has a lot of experience working with conservancies. She does not work for NDT (the organization which I will be working with) anymore but she does some consulting for them, so she will be able to help me if I’m completely lost in regards to what I will be doing.

I had a great sleep last night, even though I could hear music blasting from the nearby shebeen, and Ongwediva seems like a very nice town. However, I couldn’t see a lot of the town last night because we arrived when it was dark. I did manage to see the new mall that recently opened. Looks good to me.

Anyways, this is just a brief update about what’s happening and my boss should be picking me up in 5 minutes to take me to the Annual General Meeting for one of the conservancies that NDT works with. I’m excited and nervous about meeting my boss for the first time, but I’m ready to get down to business!

_________________________________________________________________________________
UPDATE:

I just got back home from the Annual General Meeting for the Iipumbu Ya Tshilongo Conservancy and my oh my did this day feel long. First of all, the conservancy is in a village called Onkani, which is about 100km from my home. Second of all, my transport to the conservancy was in the back of a closed bakkie (pickup truck/ute). Being in the back of a bakkie made the trip very bumpy, but I enjoyed being able to blast music on my iPod and all the leg room.

Me and my personal space on the road
However, at one point, we picked up a lady and her baby on our way to the conservancy and she sat beside me in the bakkie. Then, as I was minding my own business, the baby grabbed my hand and I looked over at the baby and there it was, being breastfed right next to me. I did not see that coming. Also, sometimes the driver would ask the lady for directions and she would turn towards the driver and her breast would be mere inches from my face. Interesting start to my first day at site haha. 

We finally arrived at the conservancy around 9:30 am. The meeting was supposed to start at 9 am. We didn't start till 10:15 am. I'm definitely going to have to get used to Namibian time. Before the meeting got started, I was given the agenda and it looked like they would be covering a lot of interesting topics such as the Conservancy progress report, the Financial report, their 5 year development plan, their Benefit distribution plan, their Game utilization and Management plan and their budget. Unfortunately, the meeting was almost entirely in Oshindonga, so hardly understood anything. And to think, I actually brought a pen and notebook to take notes during the meeting. I stuck out like a sore thumb because I was the only (semi) white guy in the room and I was sitting on the stage in front of about 100 Namibians (6 of the women in the audience were breastfeeding there babies throughout the meeting. I think public breastfeeding will be a common theme during my time in Africa haha). 


Big turnout to the meeting
One thing I did enjoy about the meeting was the occasional Cultural performances that took place, which were 12 girls doing a traditional dance and these girls had moves!

Dancin' Girls

On the way home, we decided to take 14 others to their village on our way back to Ongwediva. So below is a picture from where I was, stuck in the corner of bakkie with a bunch of other people laughing at me because they knew I didn't know a single word that they were saying. All I could do was just laugh with them. All in all, it has been an interesting first day and I think it was a good introduction to the type of things that I'll be experiencing throughout the next two years of my life.

Packed in the back of a bakkie


No comments:

Post a Comment